Intended learning outcomes
In this course (1 ETCS), we will look at how to navigate Finnish university life. Once you have finished the course, you will have a better understanding of what studying at a Finnish university is like. The course is an open online course, and the material is divided into five (5) chapters.
- Subject: Studying at a Finnish university
- Level: Introductory
- Prerequisites: None
- Language: English
- Credit: 1 ETCS
- The Finnish education system with a focus on the higher education system
- The key elements of studying at a Finnish university
- Studying in a foreign language in a diverse community
- Student well-being and study support
- Student life and activities
After the course, students will know the main principles on which the education system in Finland is based with a focus on higher education. Students will be introduced to some of the pedagogical approaches to teaching and learning in Finnish higher education to better understand what studying at a Finnish university is like.
Students will learn how student well-being and studying are supported in the Finnish higher education system. They will recognise the characteristics of a diverse higher education community and acquire tools to facilitate their integration into the Finnish academic community.
How to complete the course
This course consists of five chapters, with each chapter containing a varying number of sections. Each section is followed by either a quiz or an open-ended assignment or both so that you can reflect on what you have learned. To complete the course, read the article in each section and complete all the quizzes and open-ended questions.
Sign up for the course to create an account. See the enrollment steps below.
For Aalto University students: In order to receive 1 ECTS, enroll also on the LC-7010 Finland Studies MOOC course on SISU.
Submit feedbackOpened: Wednesday, 7 June 2023, 9:30 AMCloses: Tuesday, 4 June 2024, 9:30 AM
You can request a course credit if you have an Aalto student number.
How to do it?
1. First, add the course to your personal study plan.
2. Second, enroll for the course in Sisu. The course code is LC-7010 Finland Studies MOOC.
3. Finally, make sure that you have submitted all the reflection tasks and the quizzes and send this request.
You can follow your progress with the progress bar on the right side of the screen.
If your progress bar fails to show all completed quizzes you can explain this shortly when requesting the credit.
Please click the "Answer the questions" link to provide your full name and Aalto student number.